The Comprehensive After School System of NYC (COMPASS NYC) comprises more than 900 programs serving young people enrolled in grades K-12. Through its network of providers, COMPASS NYC offers high quality programs with a strong balance of academics, recreation, enrichment and cultural activities to support and strengthen the overall development of young people. Programs are offered at no cost to young people and are strategically located in public and private schools, community centers, religious institutions, public housing, and recreational facilities throughout the City. COMPASS NYC aims to help youth build skills to support their academic achievement, raise their confidence, and cultivate their leadership skills through service learning and other civic engagement opportunities.
Key elements of all COMPASS NYC programs are:
- Robust opportunities for youth to explore their interests and creativity.
- Intentional integration of literacy and Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematic (STEM) into traditional programming for all elementary and middle school participants to expose them to content and professions of the future.
- Age-appropriate programming that is hands-on, project-based and aligned with educational standards.
- Environments that support social and emotional learning.
- High quality arts and sports instruction.
- Strategies that support youth and families during critical educational transitions.
- Emphasis on youth engagement and making learning fun.